We’ve all been waiting for it – the single legal change that will open the floodgates & put an end to prohibition across the United States, with more countries to follow. Could this be it?
In May of 2015, Senators Rand Paul, Cory Booker and Kirsten Gillibrand introduced a bill called the Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States Act, AKA Carers Act, that would severely limit, if not completely obliterate, the US federal government’s right to interfere with states that have legalized medical marijuana.
The Carers Act also makes it legal for researchers to conduct studies on the medical benefits of cannabis in the US. Nice to see someone finally got their bum off their shoulders for once, isn’t it?
Here’s a low-down of exactly what the Carers Act includes:
- The federal government would not be able to prosecute patients, doctors or businesses who take part in their state’s legal medical marijuana program – no more raids!
- Cannabis would be downgraded from a Schedule 1 drug (like heroin or LSD) that has no medical value to a Schedule 2 drug (like strong pain or ADHD meds) that has some medical value but also a potential for abuse – allowing for research!
- Completely declassifying high-CBD/low-THC strains that have the most value for patients with seizure disorders – this will give patients increased access to their medicine, keep families together & allow this type of MMJ to cross state lines without restriction!
- Allow the banks to work with cannabis-related businesses – everyone who’s complained that Gorilla Seeds doesn’t have enough payment options, this is a biggie!
- Makes it easier to get research studies approved by removing the need for a Public Health Service review, removing the US government monopoly on marijuana research in the US, and providing for three other sites that can produce research-grade marijuana in addition to the current one at the University of Mississippi – who knew Mississippi was such a happening place?
- VA Doctors (Veterans Administration) will be allowed to recommend MMJ to patients living in legal states – this is also part of another recently passed bill, but nothing’s wrong with a double down!
They’ll even look up the contact info for your Senator so you don’t have to do anything but fill in the blanks. But don’t wait long – this bill is in committee now, but no one yet knows when or if it will come out & up for vote. Our combined voice could make the difference.
Even if it doesn’t pass, this is still a groundbreaking move, and it shows that the powers that be are listening to the people – even if they move at a snails pace.
Good things are coming, my friends!
NB: I don’t live in the US – why should I care?
Once researchers can prove the real medical benefits of herb, it will force other countries to look at cannabis in a new light too! Or that’s what we at Gorilla Seeds hope for anyway.